Neighborhood in the News!
It's funny how things change. Today as we were heading out, we noticed a news truck at an intersection right near our house. The camera guy was out, as was one of the reporters. They were doing a shot for a news broadcast.
My immediate thought was, "What happened?" Back around DC, if you saw a news crew out, it usually meant something bad. A shooting. A robbery. A security breach. It was rarely something benign.
But the news is a lot slower down here. I guess "slower" isn't the right word. There's just not as much bad stuff going on. Top news stories range from school starting to a church mission trip to the new baby red pandas at the zoo. Sure, we have the occasional shooting, and even a homicide. But things like the Tiffany Sours murder near Clemson a few months ago are all over the news because they don't happen very often.
So back to the news crew out near our house. What were they there for? A new traffic light. Yes, that's right. The intersection has a new traffic light. We're not one of those one-light-towns. There are zillions of traffic lights around here. (Really, zillions! I've counted! HA!)
But I guess for me this is big news. If that light had been operational just one week earlier, I would have taken that route out of my community last Thursday evening. I would have come out at a protected intersection, and likely would not have been in that silly fender-bender.
My immediate thought was, "What happened?" Back around DC, if you saw a news crew out, it usually meant something bad. A shooting. A robbery. A security breach. It was rarely something benign.
But the news is a lot slower down here. I guess "slower" isn't the right word. There's just not as much bad stuff going on. Top news stories range from school starting to a church mission trip to the new baby red pandas at the zoo. Sure, we have the occasional shooting, and even a homicide. But things like the Tiffany Sours murder near Clemson a few months ago are all over the news because they don't happen very often.
So back to the news crew out near our house. What were they there for? A new traffic light. Yes, that's right. The intersection has a new traffic light. We're not one of those one-light-towns. There are zillions of traffic lights around here. (Really, zillions! I've counted! HA!)
But I guess for me this is big news. If that light had been operational just one week earlier, I would have taken that route out of my community last Thursday evening. I would have come out at a protected intersection, and likely would not have been in that silly fender-bender.


2 Comments:
How nice to have the news story be a street light and not an Amber Alert. I'm getting to the point where I get my news online -- the nightly news is too depressing for me to watch.
Congrats on your new safe intersection!!!
Wow, that is quite a news culture shock. Congrats on the new light, not a small thing when you live near intersection in question...
Lisa
Post a Comment
<< Home