Our Little Corner of the Upstate

The musings of a family of happy transplants to the Upstate of South Carolina.

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Football Widows of the World, Unite!

This weekend marks the first full weekend of pro football in the US. If your husband is like mine, by 12:30 p.m., the television was on, and he was switching between channels to see which games would be broadcast. We can pretty much count on the television being tuned to one game or another until we fall asleep tonight (thanks to the introduction of Sunday night football). Yep, 12 straight hours of football on Sunday.

Thankfully football season is also good for multitaskers like Greg. He can do laundry and play with the boys while the games are on. So in our house, stuff still gets done. And in some respects, better, because we're not running out here and there.

So what are we ladies supposed to do on Sundays during football season if we don't want to be around the game?

I'll admit, I love football. I've been going to games as long as I can remember. My older brother (8.5 years my senior) started playing in the pee-wee leagues (which my dad coached), and he played through college. I rarely missed a game in high school or college. I understand how the game is played, the rules, and the difference between a strong safety and a free safety.

But still, after a few hours of football, I'm ready to turn it off.

Maybe we should start a Sunday afternoon Football Widows Club. Leave the kids to watch football with the dads, and we ladies can all go out for a nice uninterrupted lunch at a place with non-disposable plates and fabric napkins. Ahh, wouldn't that be nice.

But don't schedule it when the Redskins are playing. I'll be with Greg, glued to the tv. I guess I can make one a football widow too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home