"Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays"
It's the holidays again, and the stores can't figure out whether their employees should say "Merry Christmas", "Happy Holidays", or some other festive greeting.
After some backlash last year at only using "Happy Holidays", WalMart, Target, Kohls, and several other national retailers are back to wishing customers a "Merry Christmas" and using the word Christmas in their advertising. Other stores such as Best Buy and The Gap are sticking with "Happy Holidays.
Why does this have to be such a big deal? Why does everything have to be analyzed to death? Why is everyone so uptight?
Rather than each store essentially legislating what kind of greeting their employees should use, why not let the employees decide? It's December. What are the December holidays? Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanza, Eid. Am I missing anything? So let the employees using what comes from their heart. If they want to say "Merry Christmas", then fine. Or "Happy Hanukkah". Or if they prefer, they can just say "Happy Holidays".
We as customers should be secure enough in our beliefs that we don't have to throw a kiniption if someone wishes us a holiday greeting other than our own. It's not like by giving a friendly greeting that anyone is trying to convert us!
I am a Christian. I go to church just about every Sunday. I help run the church nursery. I teach preschoolers at church one Sunday a month. I've taught other preschool church classes. I would be perfectly fine if someone wished me a holiday greeting that was other than my own. In fact I think it would be kind of neat.
Let's all just calm down. It's really not a big deal. Don't make it one!
And to all my Jewish readers out there, I wish you a happy and blessed Hanukkah!
After some backlash last year at only using "Happy Holidays", WalMart, Target, Kohls, and several other national retailers are back to wishing customers a "Merry Christmas" and using the word Christmas in their advertising. Other stores such as Best Buy and The Gap are sticking with "Happy Holidays.
Why does this have to be such a big deal? Why does everything have to be analyzed to death? Why is everyone so uptight?
Rather than each store essentially legislating what kind of greeting their employees should use, why not let the employees decide? It's December. What are the December holidays? Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanza, Eid. Am I missing anything? So let the employees using what comes from their heart. If they want to say "Merry Christmas", then fine. Or "Happy Hanukkah". Or if they prefer, they can just say "Happy Holidays".
We as customers should be secure enough in our beliefs that we don't have to throw a kiniption if someone wishes us a holiday greeting other than our own. It's not like by giving a friendly greeting that anyone is trying to convert us!
I am a Christian. I go to church just about every Sunday. I help run the church nursery. I teach preschoolers at church one Sunday a month. I've taught other preschool church classes. I would be perfectly fine if someone wished me a holiday greeting that was other than my own. In fact I think it would be kind of neat.
Let's all just calm down. It's really not a big deal. Don't make it one!
And to all my Jewish readers out there, I wish you a happy and blessed Hanukkah!


1 Comments:
Hey, thanks. I totally agree. I get wished Merry Christmas all the time and do not take a bit of offense. It's just some well-meaning person wanting me to have a nice holiday. Unless it was someone who clearly had ulterior motives in not acknowledging my holiday, I don't see what the big deal is either...
Lisa
Post a Comment
<< Home