Our Little Corner of the Upstate

The musings of a family of happy transplants to the Upstate of South Carolina.

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

My Little Artist!

Michael has always liked to paint and color with markers. He even knows how to mix his primary colors. Red and yellow makes orange! But he's never liked to draw. In fact until recently, he just didn't.

We've been working on handwriting lately. He's doing so well! He especially likes writing "ML" for his initials. Right now, that is how he signs his name.

It seems the handwriting practice is paying off in more ways than one! Last week, he suddenly started drawing!

His first picture, I call "trees".
I asked Michael to draw a tree, and he said he needed brown for the "stick". He drew one tall, skinny trunk. Then he said he needed green for the leaves. Soon he had eight leaves. And decided that each leaf should have it's own "stick".

Then I asked if he wanted to draw the sun. He immediately drew the five rays of the sun, and then filled in with a circle in the middle.

He was on a roll, so I asked if the picture should have any grass. He proceeded to draw some "baby grass" and some "big grass".

His second picture happened by chance today. He was on the phone with Pop Pop, and I noticed that while talking, he was drawing on his MagnaDoodle.
He finished the one on the left, pointed to it, and said, "That is Pop Pop!" His first drawing of a person! Then he drew the one on the right, pointed to it, and said, "And that is Mom Mom!" (Clearly Mom Mom is the one with more hair!)

I'm so proud of my little artist! I guess it's a good thing the Easter Bunny brought him that art easel!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home