Our Little Corner of the Upstate

The musings of a family of happy transplants to the Upstate of South Carolina.

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Welcome to Autism Awareness Month

April is designated as Autism Awareness Month. As I've mentioned on here, my son Michael was diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder in December 2007. So this month in particular, I am going to try to do some posts to raise awareness of this disorder.

I will start with the most basic statistics of all...

In 1980, 1 in 100,000 children were diagnosed with autism.

Today, 1 in 150 children are diagnosed with autism.

Clearly we have an issue on our hands that deserves significant attention.

3 Comments:

Blogger Casdok said...

Much needs to be done to raise awareness.

Tuesday, April 01, 2008 12:35:00 PM  
Blogger Genevieve Hinson said...

Hi there - I'm so sorry your link didn't get up. I've added it to the blogroll so it should be showing soon.

Thank you so much for participating in blogging for autism awareness month.

And thanks for the nudge :)

~g

Tuesday, April 01, 2008 12:43:00 PM  
Blogger Maude Lynn said...

"Clearly" is absolutely right!

Tuesday, April 01, 2008 2:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home