Our Little Corner of the Upstate

The musings of a family of happy transplants to the Upstate of South Carolina.

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Michael's Valentine -- The Whole Story...

For a couple days this week, we were driving a friend's daughter to and from school, along with Michael. The little girl's parents had to go out of town, and Grandma was keeping the kids. She and Michael are "friends", but these couple days were really neat.

They both wanted to sit in the "way-back" of the van together. They were chatting the whole time. She would ask questions, and be VERY patient as Michael did his best to answer, using his almost robotic speech pattern, filled with stammering. It was so amazing hearing him working to get the right words out, and her being far more patient that one would expect from a 5 1/2 year old.

Yesterday afternoon when they got in the car (and in to the "way-back" together), Michael said, "Audrey, I have something for your mom." He told her that he made it in speech today. He opened his speech folder and pulled it out.

It was a Valentine. And it said:

To Audrey's mom who is away.I hope you come back to town.Love Michael L.

I just about cried. I was so proud of my little guy. But I wanted to know the circumstances of the Valentine. So I emailed his speech therapist.

Apparently they were working with the book "Somebody Loves You Mr Hatch." As the teacher said, "The children were told that the Valentine they make needed to be for someone that was lonely, someone that needed some cheering up,or for a special person. They were told not to make it for themselves or a pet. He knew exactly who he was going to make his valentine for. He was excited to write and knew exactly what he wanted to say."

Well, Audrey's mom was out of town because her Uncle died. Michael did not know the reason. But it seems he could still sense that she needed some cheering up.

Last night, when Audrey's mom got home, she called to thank me. She absolutely loved the Valentine. In fact this morning she wrote to me, "I am so touched. I will treasure it always. I am amazed at how in tune he was to audrey's feelings. Because Audrey's didn't have a clue anyone was dead, sick, anything. She only knew I was going out of town. But Michael knew she was sad about it. Just from that short car ride. And this email is just another reminder that God can bring good out of tragedy. I am so happy, smiling for the first time in a week!"

Michael may not speak as well as his peers. He may struggle to get the words out. But inside he seems to feel such compassion. It is amazing to see this opportunity he had to let it shine.

I am so proud of him!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home