Our Little Corner of the Upstate

The musings of a family of happy transplants to the Upstate of South Carolina.

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

A Star Spangled 4th of July

What a wonderful 4th of July! Is there anything more exciting than a successful Space Shuttle launch on Independence Day? A true Star Spangled 4th of July!

Yep, I'm a NASA girl. My dad worked for NASA (Goddard Space Flight Center) for many years, so I've always followed the space program. I love going to the Air & Space Museums back around DC. And naturally a Space Shuttle launch is a big deal to me.

I really want to see the space program to succeed. So many advances in health and the sciences are a direct result of our space program. It's not like the astronauts are just flying around in space having a vacation. They are up there doing work to better our lives back here on Earth.

Congratulations to NASA on a successful launch. I hope that all the work of this mission is successful, and that the astronauts return safely.

Since I'm talking about things to be excited about on the 4th of July, let's not forget the brave men and women who serve in our armed forces. One does not need to agree with any administration in office, or any military conflicts current or past. Just remember that these people have volunteered to do a job that most of us, myself included, do not have the guts to do. Many thanks to all our armed forces, and prayers to those who may be in harms way.

I had an interesting realization this morning about the 4th of July here in South Carolina. I've heard about plenty of celebrations, but not once have I heard any reference to "increased security" for the holiday. The first time I haven't heard those words since 9/11. You see, back in DC, the 4th of July is a big security event. Just to get on to The Mall to watch the fireworks, you have to go thru metal detectors and have your bags searched. Not so here in South Carolina!

On a lighter note, we had a cookout with another family from Mom's Club today! The kids had a blast playing in the sandbox, and then running thru the sprinkler! The watermelon was a big hit! The perfect 4th of July outdoor food!

No fireworks for us tonight. It is 7:30 pm, and it's time for the kids to go to get ready for bed. If our neighborhood is anything like it was on New Year's Eve though, there will be driveway fireworks shows going on well in to the night.

And now I am off to watch A Capitol Fourth on PBS. There are some things you grow up with that are always special.

May God bless America!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home