Greenville's No Smoking Ordinance
Tonight, the Greenville City Council will vote on a new No-Smoking Ordinance. I really hope it passes!
As a non-smoker and a parent, it frustrates me when we are out trying to enjoy the city, and get stuck sucking down someone's second-hand smoke. Especially at family-friendly places. Despite the signs, I've still seen people smoking at the Zoo, and had to walk through groups of people smoking while standing right at the door to Chuck-E-Cheese. Yuck!
I understand that smoking tobacco cigarettes is not illegal. No one is saying that people cannot smoke. They are just saying that people cannot smoke in public places.
I've heard the argument that you cannot legislate people from freely doing something that is illegal. But this is a flawed argument. It is not illegal for a man and a woman to have sex. But it IS illegal for them to have sex on a public sidewalk! There's no difference. Both are legal activities that should not be allowed in public.
So here's hoping that the Greenville City Council votes appropriately tonight, and that our fine city soon as a No-Smoking Ordinance!
As a non-smoker and a parent, it frustrates me when we are out trying to enjoy the city, and get stuck sucking down someone's second-hand smoke. Especially at family-friendly places. Despite the signs, I've still seen people smoking at the Zoo, and had to walk through groups of people smoking while standing right at the door to Chuck-E-Cheese. Yuck!
I understand that smoking tobacco cigarettes is not illegal. No one is saying that people cannot smoke. They are just saying that people cannot smoke in public places.
I've heard the argument that you cannot legislate people from freely doing something that is illegal. But this is a flawed argument. It is not illegal for a man and a woman to have sex. But it IS illegal for them to have sex on a public sidewalk! There's no difference. Both are legal activities that should not be allowed in public.
So here's hoping that the Greenville City Council votes appropriately tonight, and that our fine city soon as a No-Smoking Ordinance!


1 Comments:
How'd it turn out?
Lisa
Post a Comment
<< Home