The Mockery of Marriage
Apparently yesterday was the big marriage of Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes. Reports say that they spent upwards of $2 million on the wedding.
What ever happened to reasonable weddings? Small weddings? Proper etiquette?
It used to be that if a person was getting married for anything other than the first time, they had a small, private wedding. This is Tom Cruise's third time down the aisle.
It used to be that if a couple had been living together before getting married, they kept things simple when they decided to legalize their union.
It used to be that if a couple had a child out of wedlock and then wanted to marry, they only invited a few close friends and family to a small service.
Boy have things changed. But it seems like this is a trend in Hollywood these days. Does anyone wait until getting married before starting a family anymore? Does anyone wait until getting married to move in together? Does anyone even stay together with the person they married? Shoot, do they even wait for the divorce before they start prancing around town with someone else? It all seems like a big mockery of marriage to me.
We really need some good role models for kids these days. There are so few out there. Or at least the ones who are out there are not getting the press. All the media coverage seems to be about those who are certainly not demonstrating the kinds of morals I would like my kids to grow up with.
I would love to hear some stories about couples who have been married for many years. Couples who waited until marriage to have children. Couples who didn't shack up with every Dick or Jane in town. Couples who honored their wedding vows. And while we're at it, let's find some examples of these people who aren't driving around acting like drunken fools too.
Thankfully my kids are too young to know anything about celebrities. (Unless you count Bob & Larry from VeggieTales.) I hope that as they grow up, we are able to instill in them a sense of morality that is contrary to what is being shoved in our faces all day long.
As I think about this silly Cruise-Holmes wedding, one thing does make sense. I can understand why they reportedly had a Scientology wedding, rather than a Catholic wedding (the faith of Holmes' upbringing). This kind of behavior would never be accepted in the Catholic church. I may have some differences with the Catholic faith, but this is one I think they get right.
What ever happened to reasonable weddings? Small weddings? Proper etiquette?
It used to be that if a person was getting married for anything other than the first time, they had a small, private wedding. This is Tom Cruise's third time down the aisle.
It used to be that if a couple had been living together before getting married, they kept things simple when they decided to legalize their union.
It used to be that if a couple had a child out of wedlock and then wanted to marry, they only invited a few close friends and family to a small service.
Boy have things changed. But it seems like this is a trend in Hollywood these days. Does anyone wait until getting married before starting a family anymore? Does anyone wait until getting married to move in together? Does anyone even stay together with the person they married? Shoot, do they even wait for the divorce before they start prancing around town with someone else? It all seems like a big mockery of marriage to me.
We really need some good role models for kids these days. There are so few out there. Or at least the ones who are out there are not getting the press. All the media coverage seems to be about those who are certainly not demonstrating the kinds of morals I would like my kids to grow up with.
I would love to hear some stories about couples who have been married for many years. Couples who waited until marriage to have children. Couples who didn't shack up with every Dick or Jane in town. Couples who honored their wedding vows. And while we're at it, let's find some examples of these people who aren't driving around acting like drunken fools too.
Thankfully my kids are too young to know anything about celebrities. (Unless you count Bob & Larry from VeggieTales.) I hope that as they grow up, we are able to instill in them a sense of morality that is contrary to what is being shoved in our faces all day long.
As I think about this silly Cruise-Holmes wedding, one thing does make sense. I can understand why they reportedly had a Scientology wedding, rather than a Catholic wedding (the faith of Holmes' upbringing). This kind of behavior would never be accepted in the Catholic church. I may have some differences with the Catholic faith, but this is one I think they get right.


2 Comments:
That's why my wedding was with 30 people in my apartment.
Lisa
Same kind of thing with mine.
Post a Comment
<< Home