In the South Carolina Legislature
I am cheering for two bills currently on the South Carolina legislative agenda.
According to The Greenville News, "The first bill, S.84, would require an ultrasound to determine the gestational age of the fetus that would be shown to patients before all abortions."
I have thought this was a great idea for years. Whether one agrees with abortion or not, I believe that anyone considering one should have all the facts. Have you ever seen the heartbeat of a baby at 8 weeks gestational age? It is one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. I had never imagined what it would be like to see a life within a life.
Expectant parents can be told all about when certain developments happen in utero. But it really doesn't sink in until it is seen by ones own eyes. It didn't for me. And I'm a pretty smart, informed, well-aware little cookie. Sure the books might tell you that there is a heart beating in there. But without seeing it, can you really comprehend the thump-thump-thump of a heartbeat in a baby the size of a grain of rice? But it's true! It's there!
This measure does not ban abortion in any way. It purely makes the parent more informed and aware of the medical procedure they are considering. I can only assume that those who oppose this bill, such as Planned Parenthood, would prefer that women remain uninformed, unaware, and ignorant. Hmmm, I want more for the women in this state.
Again from The Greenville News, "The second measure, H.3019, would declare a fetus a person in the case of a civil action." The Unborn Victims of Violence law has already applied this to criminal actions; the new measure would just extended it to include civil actions. If a woman lost her baby as the result of a personal injury situation (such as a car accident or assault), she would be permitted to sue civilly on behalf of the baby.
Well with all the crazy cases in this country like Scott Peterson, this one is a no-brainer.
So to my representatives in the South Carolina legislature, a big pat on the back. Thank you for continuing to look out for even the tiniest of your constituents.
According to The Greenville News, "The first bill, S.84, would require an ultrasound to determine the gestational age of the fetus that would be shown to patients before all abortions."
I have thought this was a great idea for years. Whether one agrees with abortion or not, I believe that anyone considering one should have all the facts. Have you ever seen the heartbeat of a baby at 8 weeks gestational age? It is one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. I had never imagined what it would be like to see a life within a life.
Expectant parents can be told all about when certain developments happen in utero. But it really doesn't sink in until it is seen by ones own eyes. It didn't for me. And I'm a pretty smart, informed, well-aware little cookie. Sure the books might tell you that there is a heart beating in there. But without seeing it, can you really comprehend the thump-thump-thump of a heartbeat in a baby the size of a grain of rice? But it's true! It's there!
This measure does not ban abortion in any way. It purely makes the parent more informed and aware of the medical procedure they are considering. I can only assume that those who oppose this bill, such as Planned Parenthood, would prefer that women remain uninformed, unaware, and ignorant. Hmmm, I want more for the women in this state.
Again from The Greenville News, "The second measure, H.3019, would declare a fetus a person in the case of a civil action." The Unborn Victims of Violence law has already applied this to criminal actions; the new measure would just extended it to include civil actions. If a woman lost her baby as the result of a personal injury situation (such as a car accident or assault), she would be permitted to sue civilly on behalf of the baby.
Well with all the crazy cases in this country like Scott Peterson, this one is a no-brainer.
So to my representatives in the South Carolina legislature, a big pat on the back. Thank you for continuing to look out for even the tiniest of your constituents.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home