Things I Love About South Carolina
We've been here in South Carolina for 16 months now, and there is so much to love!
I love that it is totally acceptable here to be a stay-at-home-mom. Every choice should be respected, but back around DC, the decision to be a stay-at-home-moms was really not respected. Especially when people find out you have a Masters Degree. But it is both respected and common here. Which makes my job so much easier.
I love the cute little words I'm learning. A "buggy" is a shopping cart, but also a stroller. A "lovey" is a child's favorite special blanket or stuffed toy. A "paci" is a pacifier (not a binkie!). A "baby" is a young child, but a "baby-baby" is an infant. Love it, love it, love it!
I love that people complain about highway traffic when everyone can only move along at 55 miles per hour. Or complain about traffic on local roads when it takes two cycles to get through a red light. Oh I do not miss the traffic around DC!!!!
I love that everyone is so friendly! The license plates here say, "Smiling Faces, Beautiful Places". So appropriate. I have never met a more friendly population in my life.
I love that it is okay to be traditional and conservative. I know that my boy's are surrounded by people who will reinforce the values we are trying to instill.
I love that I can drive 20 minutes in one direction and be downtown, 20 minutes in the other direction and be totally in the country, and 20 minutes in the other direction and be in the mountains. I love that I can drive 5 minutes one way and be at a strip of shopping centers, and 5 minutes the other way and be at a local produce stand located in the middle of a farm.
But most of all, I love how welcoming everyone has been to us. We feel so loved and appreciated here. I was warned before moving that we would never really be part of the town, because we would always be looked at as Yankees. Nothing is further from the truth. Everyone has approached us with arms open wide. And not just fellow transplants like us, but people who have been here for generations.
So to my local friends and readers, a big THANK YOU! You really have made our move to South Carolina one of the best decisions we have ever made!
I love that it is totally acceptable here to be a stay-at-home-mom. Every choice should be respected, but back around DC, the decision to be a stay-at-home-moms was really not respected. Especially when people find out you have a Masters Degree. But it is both respected and common here. Which makes my job so much easier.
I love the cute little words I'm learning. A "buggy" is a shopping cart, but also a stroller. A "lovey" is a child's favorite special blanket or stuffed toy. A "paci" is a pacifier (not a binkie!). A "baby" is a young child, but a "baby-baby" is an infant. Love it, love it, love it!
I love that people complain about highway traffic when everyone can only move along at 55 miles per hour. Or complain about traffic on local roads when it takes two cycles to get through a red light. Oh I do not miss the traffic around DC!!!!
I love that everyone is so friendly! The license plates here say, "Smiling Faces, Beautiful Places". So appropriate. I have never met a more friendly population in my life.
I love that it is okay to be traditional and conservative. I know that my boy's are surrounded by people who will reinforce the values we are trying to instill.
I love that I can drive 20 minutes in one direction and be downtown, 20 minutes in the other direction and be totally in the country, and 20 minutes in the other direction and be in the mountains. I love that I can drive 5 minutes one way and be at a strip of shopping centers, and 5 minutes the other way and be at a local produce stand located in the middle of a farm.
But most of all, I love how welcoming everyone has been to us. We feel so loved and appreciated here. I was warned before moving that we would never really be part of the town, because we would always be looked at as Yankees. Nothing is further from the truth. Everyone has approached us with arms open wide. And not just fellow transplants like us, but people who have been here for generations.
So to my local friends and readers, a big THANK YOU! You really have made our move to South Carolina one of the best decisions we have ever made!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home