Our Little Corner of the Upstate

The musings of a family of happy transplants to the Upstate of South Carolina.

Friday, April 13, 2007

Activities at the Atlanta Airport

I caught a headline on the news yesterday and of course here I am blogging about it.

According to the Associated Press (via the Boston Globe), "At the world’s busiest airport, plainclothes officers patrolling public restrooms in search of luggage thieves have instead uncovered a rash of other, more sordid crimes. The new restroom dragnet has led to the arrests of more than 30 people in three months for indecent exposure and public sex acts at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport."

Apparently there are some folks who when stuck at an airport, hop on their laptop and post to sites like Craigslist looking for quick airport hookups.

Okay, that is just gross.

But the following quote in the article is what really burned me up:
”Police have far better things to do with their time than to arrest people for this,” said Kenneth Sherrill, professor at Hunter College of The City University of New York. ”Being ’sex police’ in bathrooms strikes me as a perversion of rational law enforcement activities.”

When I walk in to a bathroom, I expect it to be a safe place. I do not expect to have to listen to anyone in the next stall engaging in hanky-panky.

But even more than that, in a few years my boys will be too old to come in to the ladies room with mommy. They will have to go to the men's room. Sometimes alone. I certainly do not want them encountering any perverts in the restrooms!

Engaging in this kind of behavior in public is against the law. If police are spending their times going after people who are breaking the law, then what is the professor concerned about? No one has the Constitutional right to have sex in an airport restroom! But by golly, my boys and I do have the Constitutional right to be protected from those who engaging in illegal activities... and if that means we need "sex police" in public restrooms, then so be it!

How have we come to a point where those participating in illegal acts are suddenly victims of police engaging in a "perversion of rational law enforcement activities"?

Give me a break!

2 Comments:

Blogger Grim Reality Girl said...

You have hit upon what is my worst fear!!!!!!!!

It kills me letting my 10 year old son use a public restroom. I am willing to stand outside the door and shout into the bathroom and make a spectacle of myself -- if you were having sex in there you would certainly stop! When my son goes in I tell him I'm counting. At 2 minutes, I'm going in........ Thank goodness he saves #2 for at home. Sorry, I shared too much again didn't I?

Why can't everyone use common sense? Random hook ups? Ew.

Monday, April 16, 2007 11:07:00 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

I hate the Atlanta airport without knowing this info. Now I am really going to steer clear of it! Gross! Thank goodness I have several years before mine will be using public restrooms by himself.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 2:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home