Our Little Corner of the Upstate

The musings of a family of happy transplants to the Upstate of South Carolina.

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Kudos to Whole Foods Market!

Today we went to Whole Foods Market on Woodruff Road in Greenville, SC to pick up some gluten free stuff. My inlaws are coming to town tomorrow, and I decided to get a gluten free cake mix. I saw a young man about 20 stocking shelves nearby, and asked him if they had any pre-made frosting.

He took me over to the dairy counter and pointed out two jars of frosting. They were $7 each. For one little jar of frosting. I told him that was more than I could pay for a thing of frosting. He tried to sell me, telling me it was really good. I told him that I'm sure it was, but I just could not pay $7 for a jar of frosting.

So he asked me, "If you were to get one, which one would you choose?"

I said, "Chocolate, of course!"

He picked up a jar of the chocolate frosting, and wrote something over the bar code. "WILL". He handed it to me and said, "Here, enjoy it. You'll like it." Yes, the frosting was free.

Well my eyes just filled with tears. This guy did not know me. He knew nothing about my son or our circumstances. I tried to tell him how much his gesture meant to me -- having a child with autism, paying for all this gluten free stuff (which is expensive), and all the medical bills.

He just smile and said, "I'm glad I could help."

All I could say was, "You're making me cry. But thank you!"

It was such a neat experience, and really gives me a new impression of that store. According to the checker, "That's what we do here!"

2 Comments:

Blogger Trish said...

Wow, that brought tears to my eyes. How amazing! I wish we had a Whole Foods here. :(

Thursday, April 10, 2008 10:58:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am the producer of that frosting and my son and I too can not have gluten. The reality is that real dairy and clean ingredients are expensive and since the products are free of preservatives they need to be refrigerated which increases the cost to all of us. I am working on bringing the cost down to 5.99 per container because I don't think that people that need to be gluten free should suffer anymore at the cash register. The ingredients don't resemble canned frosting( which is made with hydrogenated oil, chemicals, wheat starch,etc)- The Miss Molly's frostings are just like fudge in terms of ingredients and so the cost is similar to, actually a bit cheaper than, fudge. Please e-mail if you have any thoughts that you would like to share.
Thank you! Molly

Monday, April 21, 2008 6:02:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home