More on Grandmas and Glammas...
Funny, yesterday I posted about new trendy names for grandparents, and this morning a similar story was on The Today Show. (Thanks to some folks searching for today's story and finding my blog... otherwise I would not have known! Not a Today Show watcher!)
You can watch the segment from The Today Show here.
After watching the show, I feel even more strongly about my original post. You'll see a clip of a grandparent and granddaughter on a swingset. The mother is pushing the swings and says, "Do you call her Glamma?" The daughter giggles and says, "Yes!"
And yet in the next clip, that same mother states, "There are times I would just like her to hang out with my daughter, but that's not who she is."
So what do you want? A woman who wants to be called Glamma, and hangs out at cocktail parties? Or a woman who couldn't care less what she's called, and wants to hang out with her grandchildren?
The educational psychologist brought in as the "expert" states that these grandparents have a "stronger sense of family" than the grandparents before them. What?? Did she not hear the clip I just quoted above? Personally I think that investing time and love in your grandchildren is exactly what helps develop a stronger sense of family.
I was also a little spooked when the educational psychologist stated that the "average age of grandparents today is 47". Certainly I understand that there are wonderful grandparents at that age. I know a 50 year old grandmother who is great. But if people are living longer and longer, with many grandparents in their 70's and 80's, how is 47 the average?
The educational psychologist conclude the segment by saying, "What happens at grandma's stays at grandma's." Well, I am certainly glad that she is not my children's grandmother! Because if my children misbehave with anyone, we expect to know about it. We also expect that our rules will be respected at all times, no matter who is watching the children. A little extra candy or otherwise spoiling the grandchildren is fine. But if "what happens at grandma's stays at grandma's", my boys won't be going to grandma's!
Now let me just clarify here. My mother is is not one who sits at home knitting and baking cookies. Nor is my father one who sits around with his feet around all day. At 75, my father still works full-time. He travels internationally for business about 3 times a year, domestically about the same. At 74, my mother is active in numerous groups in her community, volunteers at a local school, and plays bridge. They travel together frequently. They have very active lives outside of their grandchildren.
But there is never a time where I've had to say, "I just wish they would hang out with my boys. But that's not who they are."
Do you want a "Glamma" or a "Grandma"? Or a "Mom Mom" like my boys have? I'll take Mom Mom over the other any day.
You can watch the segment from The Today Show here.
After watching the show, I feel even more strongly about my original post. You'll see a clip of a grandparent and granddaughter on a swingset. The mother is pushing the swings and says, "Do you call her Glamma?" The daughter giggles and says, "Yes!"
And yet in the next clip, that same mother states, "There are times I would just like her to hang out with my daughter, but that's not who she is."
So what do you want? A woman who wants to be called Glamma, and hangs out at cocktail parties? Or a woman who couldn't care less what she's called, and wants to hang out with her grandchildren?
The educational psychologist brought in as the "expert" states that these grandparents have a "stronger sense of family" than the grandparents before them. What?? Did she not hear the clip I just quoted above? Personally I think that investing time and love in your grandchildren is exactly what helps develop a stronger sense of family.
I was also a little spooked when the educational psychologist stated that the "average age of grandparents today is 47". Certainly I understand that there are wonderful grandparents at that age. I know a 50 year old grandmother who is great. But if people are living longer and longer, with many grandparents in their 70's and 80's, how is 47 the average?
The educational psychologist conclude the segment by saying, "What happens at grandma's stays at grandma's." Well, I am certainly glad that she is not my children's grandmother! Because if my children misbehave with anyone, we expect to know about it. We also expect that our rules will be respected at all times, no matter who is watching the children. A little extra candy or otherwise spoiling the grandchildren is fine. But if "what happens at grandma's stays at grandma's", my boys won't be going to grandma's!
Now let me just clarify here. My mother is is not one who sits at home knitting and baking cookies. Nor is my father one who sits around with his feet around all day. At 75, my father still works full-time. He travels internationally for business about 3 times a year, domestically about the same. At 74, my mother is active in numerous groups in her community, volunteers at a local school, and plays bridge. They travel together frequently. They have very active lives outside of their grandchildren.
But there is never a time where I've had to say, "I just wish they would hang out with my boys. But that's not who they are."
Do you want a "Glamma" or a "Grandma"? Or a "Mom Mom" like my boys have? I'll take Mom Mom over the other any day.


2 Comments:
We have an Oma, a Meemaw, a Grammy, and a Grandma Rain all of whom live for their grandchildren but still have lives of their own. Grammy is my grandma and I have always thought I lucked out in the grandma department. She was 50 when I was born, the first grandchild, and we have always had a special relationship. I think all of them are wonderful grandmas and so does Jaykeb.
From what I've seen on your blog, you are right! They are great!
Post a Comment
<< Home