Our Little Corner of the Upstate

The musings of a family of happy transplants to the Upstate of South Carolina.

Sunday, May 06, 2007

Good Kids Movies?

I'm trying to find some good kids movies for the boys.

They don't really watch television. Occasionally a little Playhouse Disney, or shows on Animal Planet. Most of the other stuff I just don't find appropriate for preschoolers. Too much violence, disrespect, and making characters look stupid. Not to mention the commercials. I just don't need companies plugging their products to my kids.

We started off watching mostly VeggieTales on DVD. Love those! Safe, nonviolent, and they all have a good message. Michael discovered Blue's Clues through school, and now we have our weekly trip to the library to get a new Blue's Clues movie.

But we need to expand our viewing a bit. That's where I'm running in to trouble! I can't find much that I find appropriate for kids!

Disney movies? Hey, we love Disney! But most of the movies are so darn violent. Have you tried watching The Lion King from the eyes of a 3 year old? There's always someone getting killed, or being threatened to be killed.

Old time kids movies? Well, we tried a few of the Benji movies. Michael loves that dog. But again, there's a lot of violence! Guns, children being kidnapped, and even a child with a gun being held to her head! I know the dog is cute, but the other stuff nixes Benji flicks.

We've had the most luck with some old musicals like Singin' In The Rain and The Music Man. The original Lassie movie was good too.

I guess it's going to be a while before we find any current movies to take the boys to at the theater. So far there hasn't been a single one that we thought was appropriate for preschoolers.

Do you know of any good, safe, innocent movies for kids? Animals are a plus, as the boys absolutely love dogs. Post your suggestions in the Comments below.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Susan! Thanks so much for checking out my new blog and for your comment on the Children's Park in Greenville! I think you were my first viewer! I'm new to blogs and I'm slowly trying to get info on there. You live in a beautiful part of the state...we are in Columbia but graduated from Clemson and still have many many friends in the Greenville area. Thanks again for your comment!

Monday, May 07, 2007 10:03:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My friend Lisa's children really seem to like Sagwa the Chinese Siamese cat.

Carol Ann/nmitford

Wednesday, May 09, 2007 11:31:00 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Check out Noggin, it is a Nick channel for preschoolers and Sprout. Sprout has Sagwa, Dragon Tales, Kipper, and lots of other good shows. As for movies, seems like all of them have one or two parts that are a little scary the first time he watches them. Winn Dixie is a good one about a dog. It was the first movie Jayke ever watched.

Friday, May 11, 2007 11:45:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a great one, but you'll need to resort to Ebay or some other more obscure online source: "Bananas in Pajamas." We have a couple DVDs of this Australian children's show, and Lola is enchanted. Two bananas who run around in pajamas live near the beach, with their friends who are teddy bears and a purple rat who runs the local store. Lots of singing and whimsy, no violence.

My kids were also big Dragon Tales fans (Lola loves it), plus they love "Zaboomafoo" (a PBS show with hunky brothers in shorts teaching kids about wild animals, with an animated lemur as their mascot).

Saturday, May 12, 2007 4:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home